Office Furniture Blog
9 Tips for Avoiding Eye Strain at Work
If you sit in front of a computer for 8 hours or more every work day, you’ve probably experience some kind of eye strain or pain. It’s not uncommon, and yet many of us don’t take it seriously. In reality, eye strain can severely impact your performance, productivity, and overall eye health. The good news is, there are some simple tricks you can do to reduce eye strain in the workplace.
1. Take breaks. It’s easy to do if you follow the 20-20-20 rules. For every 20 minutes you’re looking at a screen, take 20 seconds to look at something that’s 20 feet away from you. On top of this, it’s a good idea to take a full 5 minute break every hour.
2. Adjust your monitor. You can find easy tips on making sure your monitor is positioned in our “Working Comfortably: Your Monitor” blog.
3. Minimize glare. This can make your eyes work harder, whether it’s from natural light or artificial light. Ideally, your light source will come from the side of your screen instead of in front or behind it.
4. Keep everything right in front of you. Having to move your eyes side to side a lot can wear them out quickly. Keep your screen directly in front of where you sit and, if you have more than one screen, opt for smaller sizes to minimize eye travel.
5. Use an LCD monitor. They’ve been proven to strain the eyes less and cut down on glare.
6. Make sure your settings are fine tuned. If you struggle to read text, zoom in or enlarge it. You should also adjust your brightness so that is is comparable to the light level around your workstation.
7. Blink. It may sound a little silly but blinking a lot helps keeps your eyes from drying out.
8. Check out Gunnar glasses. These special glasses have lenses that are tinted yellow to help cancel out the blue light your screen produces that can hurt your eyes.
9. Take your eye health seriously. Make sure you don’t skip your yearly eye exam and, if you’re having an issues or pain, be sure to tell your doctor about it.
So there you have it. Eye strain can affect anyone who uses a computer for long periods of time, but combating it is easy with these tips.
If you need help adjusting your monitor to reduce strain, a new desk may be all you need. Office Furniture source has hundreds of desks for almost every need and budget, so you can find the option that will allow for proper monitor height and less eye strain. Contact us or get in touch with our Furniture Consultants at 972-242-1700 for help finding the perfect desk.