Office Furniture Blog
Working Comfortably: Your Monitor
It's rare to walk into an office and not see a computer. Nowadays, businesses cannot physically operate without them. In fact, computers are such a major staple in the modern workplace that most employees spend more time in front of a screen than they do not in front of one.
That said, there can be lasting negative effects on the body due to sitting stationary in front of a monitor for 40+ hours a week. Ergonomics helps to pinpoint these areas and provide new ways to improve your lifestyle in the workplace.
What is Ergonomics and How Does it Pertain to Your Monitor?
Ergonomics is the study of understanding workplace efficiency due to the design and practices of office products and systems utilized.
How to Ensure Your Monitor is Properly Set Up
Setting up your monitor correctly can improve your posture, vision, and productivity. Here are four ways to ergonomically enhance your experience:
- Set up your monitor so it is always an arm's length away (18 - 28 inches)
- Keep the monitor in line with your keyboard which would be centered in front of you
- Sit down in your properly adjusted chair and position the top of the monitor to be about 2-3 inches above seated eye level
- Position the screen on an angle that reduces glare from office lights, desk lights, and sunlight
- To further reduce sun glare, maneuver your screen(s) at right angles to office windows
- Utilize the OSHA 20/20/20 standard. Look away from your computer screen every 20 minutes, at something 20 feet away, for 20 seconds.
Adjusting the monitor's distance, height, angle, and controlling the duration of computer use are small changes you can make to enhance your working experience and make sure you are always working comfortably.
One great way to make sure your monitor is easy to set up and adjust is by investing in a monitor arm. At Office Furniture Source, we have a variety of monitor arms designed to work with regular monitors, laptops, and dual-screen setups. Not sure if your new monitor arm will fit your desk? Contact our Furniture Consultants or give them a call at