Office Furniture Blog
Whether you have a private office or your work space is part of open floor plan, chances are excessive noise has interrupted your workday. Conversations are one thing, but when you add ringing phones, humming computers, and droning copy machines to the mix, the noise can become unbearable.
A noisy workplace is not only an inconvenience, it can be a distraction as well. Office noise has a profound effect on employee productivity. In fact, one study showed that over 70% of office workers stated that a reduction in noise would increase their ability to be productive. Despite this high number, the same study showed that only 19% of executives and bosses were aware that noise was a problem in their office. Noise in the office is a problem many people deal with but is rarely discussed.
Noisy offices are far more likely to see a decrease in employee morale and an increase in turnover, so cutting down on noise in the workplace is a must.
6 simple ways to reduce excess noise in your office:
- Isolate loud machines Confine printers, fax machines, or servers, consider confining to their own room to cut down on noise. Placing computer towers in cabinets can also help reduce noise levels.
- Install quieter flooring Wood and ceramic tiles cause echos, but carpet can be hard to clean. Vinyl flooring provides an alternative that is quiet and easily maintained.
- Provide dedicated conversation space Conversations have to happen in the workplace, but they don’t have to happen where everyone can hear. Instead, create small rooms for meetings and phone booths for taking calls.
- Improve your insulation Consider replacing the insulation in your office’s walls with sound blocking materials like open cell foam or mineral wool.
- Divide the room Redirect the way sound travels in an open floor plan office by breaking the room into sections. This can be accomplished with blinds, screens, dividing walls, and furniture like high-backed chairs and couches.
- Invest in a white noise machine Believe it or not, creating noise can actually reduce noise. Sound Masking by Speech Privacy Systems is an easy-to-use device that helps reduce unwanted sounds in the workplace by creating soothing white noise.
Developing a noise reduction strategy can prevent employees from suffering from side effects like stress, hearing damage, headaches, fatigue, irritability, and elevated blood pressure. At Office Furniture Source, we offer a variety of noise cancelling solutions at affordable prices. Browse our inventory or contact us to discuss our space planning services to help make your work space quieter at 855-318-4311.
Refurbishing your office may not be as difficult as moving, but it can be expensive and stressful. That said, completing a refurbishment can improve employee morale and bring peace of mind that your space is as up to date and efficient as possible.Still not convinced? Check out these great reasons for refurbishing your office.1. You [...]
There are many things you can do to improve your office’s look and your employee’s morale as a result. For instance, you can stoc the break room with free snacks or drinks. Or, you can pick out some new desks and ergonomic office chairs to replace the old ones you’ve been making due with.While all [...]
The next installment in our “Working Comfortably” series has to do with your keyboard and mouse. You may think it’s just fine to plop these two items in front of your computer and start working away, but you’d be wrongThe truth is, where your keyboard and mouse sit, and where your hands sit as a [...]
The Holidays are fast approaching and we need to clean out our inventory in order to make room for new 2018 furniture! That’s why, just in time for Black Friday, we’ve started the Office Furniture Source End of the Year Clearance Sale.Now through mid-December you can get some of the office furniture on sale in [...]
If you sit in front of a computer for 8 hours or more every work day, you’ve probably experience some kind of eye strain or pain. It’s not uncommon, and yet many of us don’t take it seriously. In reality, eye strain can severely impact your performance, productivity, and overall eye health. The good news [...]
Choosing new office furniture is fun, but it can be a stressful process as well; especially if you’re buying furniture for an entire company. Whether you buy your furniture in a store or online, there are a lot of factors you have to consider in order to ensure you choose, not only the pieces you [...]
It’s nice to be able to relax at work every once in awhile, and what better way to do that than by having an office party. Winter holiday parties are great and Fourth of July is always a good time, but few holidays give people the opportunity to let loose and have fun like Halloween.So [...]
Most of us do the same thing every day. We drive into the office, sit down in our cube, put in our 8 hours, and wait for the clock to hit 5. Sure, it’s what the vast majority of americans call “work,” but there are a few who are lucky enough to avoid this.These are [...]
A small office is nice in many ways, but it can also make you feel cramped and claustrophobic if it’s not designed well. Many people think that designing a small space is harder than designing a large one, but in reality, that’s not true.Reimagining your small office is easy and, with a few simple decorating [...]